Reports To: Director of Purchasing
Coordinates Information For: Director of Purchasing, Sr. VP of Homebuilding, Accounting, Sales, and other departments as needed.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: 07/13/2022
Summary: Coordinates activities involved with procuring goods and services such as raw materials, labor, equipment, tools, parts, and supplies for Koelbel and Company (the “COMPANY”) and its various entities. Compiles information and records to prepare purchase orders for procurement of materials and labor meeting the standards set forth by the Company and/or its contracted consultants. Coordinates activities in Purchasing by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Builds and maintains effective relationships with trade partners and suppliers in the local market. This also entails seeking out and performing thorough research of potential trade partner and supplier prospects ensuring that our trade and material supply resources are amply supported.
Obtains and evaluates all documents/data required for bidding, including specifications, scopes of work, architectural and structural documents, site plans, utility plans, soils reports, community guidelines and all other pertinent documents that affect vertical costs of construction.
Works collaboratively with Directors of Purchasing and Construction to ensure our scopes of work for each trade are clearly understood and adhered to by trade partners. This includes a thorough review of all submitted bids to confirm accuracy and adherence to the standards and material specifications noted in our scopes of work and architectural/structural details.
Prepare, solicit, and evaluate bids in compliance/alignment with company policies, procedures, and published labor and/or material scopes of work.
Negotiates with trade partners to prepare and present selection to Director of Purchasing, based upon bid comparison.
Establish a thorough and in-depth knowledge of BuildTopia. Create and maintain trade contracts, option lists/pricing, database information, budgets within BuildTopia. Provide assistance to trade partners, COMPANY project managers, and COMPANY sales staff in the use and navigation of BuildTopia.
Maintain and update Design Studio Manager, BuildTopia’s web-based option portal, used by Koelbel sales staff and home-buying prospects for option review and selection.
Create and/or maintain project files which incorporate executed copies of each community’s Master Subcontract Agreement, project specific scopes of work, insurance and OCIP documentation, project specific contract pricing, and any other documents required to keep an accurate record of communications, scope revisions, pricing revisions, etc.
Initiates and processes necessary documentation regarding option requests to trade partners, field personnel, and sales teams. This will include occasional Non-Standard Option (NSO) requests which will, at times, require custom pricing and design.
Reviews requests for construction changes and extras with assigned Construction Managers, Director of Purchasing, and/or other team members.
Researches, evaluates, and provides recommendations for new product development with direction from Director of Purchasing.
Participates in value engineering and plan review efforts and identifies areas for improvement.
Keeps informed of current Code requirements including municipality specific amendments to Code. This may include attending or instigating meetings with Code officials, energy consultants, and the like.
Works with architecture to confirm product availability when assessing new product elevations or new community site conditions.
Attends collaborative team meetings in the office or field as requested or required.
Provides mentoring, direction and support to other purchasing team members as necessary.
Assists Director of Purchasing in preparing onsite estimates per trade, plan and elevation (costs and quantities) to determine project costs; i.e. proforma budgets.
Input approved original proforma budgets for new projects into BuildTopia, maintains ongoing budgets, and provides budget updates/reports as requested by Director of Purchasing or Senior Vice-President.
Manages and maintains an ongoing cost change report separate from the budget updates. Assists management in identifying scope/specification improvement opportunities to better manage onsite costs.
Assist accounting in coding and researching non-contracted invoices for payment. Review and provide input to Director of Purchasing, Director of Construction, and/or VP of Community Development concerning applicability of updating contract pricing to reduce amount of non-contracted/unbudgeted invoicing.
Ensures contracts and/or contract addendums are produced in accordance with COMPANY policy.
Ensures all department procedures and internal control requirements are met.
This job may have some supervisory responsibilities as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Trade Relations – Ability to develop and improve trade partner relationships.
Estimating – Demonstrates strong estimating, takeoff, and budgeting skills. Utilize current material and/or labor costs in estimating and budgeting operations. Identify potential areas for value engineering during the estimating and takeoff process.
Construction Knowledge – Strong construction knowledge encompassing all aspects of vertical construction. Ability to read building plans/blueprints as well as interpreting and implementing technical documents relating to structural design, electrical design, HVAC design, and energy code compliance.
Analytical – Collects and researches data.
Design – Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control.
Oral Communication – Listens effectively and requests clarification respectfully; responds clearly and succinctly to questions.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret complex written and numerical information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; gives and welcomes constructive feedback.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with strategic goals.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures while maintaining COMPANY standards for quality and marketplace uniqueness.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; works with integrity and honesty; upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support – Follows COMPANY policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
Judgement – Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; includes appropriate people in decision making process.
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; applies received feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; works quickly while maintaining attention to detail when needed.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field is preferred. 3-years of previous purchasing or supply chain experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, architectural and structural documents, technical documents such as soils reports, grading/plot plans, municipal/state/national code documents, operation and installation manuals. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organizations.
Mathematical Skills – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, sales margins, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a knowledge of and experience with Database software, Development software, Scheduling software, Project Management software, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook software.
Other Skills, Abilities, and Other Specific Responsibilities
Job Cost/Budgeting System:
- Work with accounting to manage lot cost budgets in Entrata, perform post close budget cleanup on a per lot basis.
- Ensure purchase orders in BuildTopia are approved and ready for accounting to export into Entrata on a monthly basis. This will require timely communication with Project Managers.
- Assist accounting in coding invoices for payment from non-contracted consultants and contractors. Ensure that those submitted invoices aren’t duplicates for actual contracted work.
Contracting and Budgeting System:
- Set up new subcontractors in BuildTopia/TradeTopia, our contracting and budgeting software system.
- Utilize BuildTopia for the bidding process which will entail uploading all plans, scopes of work, and all other pertinent project details for our subcontractor’s use during the bid process.
- Manage the project bid process from beginning to contract award, ensuring all submitted information meets the requirements of the project architectural, structural, and civil drawings as well as our trade specific scopes of work. Provide a detailed bid comparison worksheet to the Director of Purchasing for review and assist in selection of project trade partners.
- Manage all created contracts for pricing accuracy including the inclusion of all applicable options and option pricing in those contracts. Update all contracts as needed when pricing revisions are necessary and maintain executed copies of initial and updated pricing schedules in physical project folders.
- Create project specific option masters in BuildTopia for use by Koelbel sales teams. This will also entail creation and management of a parallel online catalogue in Design Studio Manager (DSM). DSM is a product of BuildTopia and as such it pulls all option pricing from BuildTopia so accuracy of costs and related sales pricing is of paramount importance.
- Purchasing Agent I will work closely with the Director of Purchasing and the VP of Sales and Marketing in the creation of the BuildTopia option master to ensure that ours and our buyer’s needs and expectations are met.
- Option pricing will be updated for all open projects on a quarterly basis.
- Create and maintain project and subcontractor specific files.
- These files are to contain executed copies of our Master Subcontractor Agreement, scopes of work, initial pricing schedules and updates as received, documentation of submitted requests for pricing revisions, specific product information when agreement is made to utilize a product alternative to what we specify in our scopes of work, and any other pertinent information about the contracted duties/responsibilities of our subcontractors.
- Create project books for distribution to the sales and construction teams at new project roll-out meetings.
- These books will include, but aren’t limited to, copies of executed versions of our scopes of work, site utility plans and maps, initial option lists, a copy of our general specification overview form, cabinet plans.
- Review BuildTopia on a daily basis to ensure purchase orders are being generated in a timely manner, sales change orders are accurate and are being processed prior to option cutoffs.
- Manage reception of and filing of 3rd party inspection reports.
- Manage OCIP/Wrap Insurance enrollment for all required trade partners at all projects.
- Review and maintain current knowledge of each municipality’s adopted building and energy code and provide recommendations for meeting those codes as they change.
- Assist in budgetary reporting to Senior VP on an as needed basis.
- Compile and maintain a current prospective bidder list.
- Assist subcontractors with BuildTopia/TradeTopia use and navigation.
- Compile and maintain physical and/or electronic product samples, details, and specifications for use internally and by our architectural/structural consultants.
- Track commodity pricing for lumber, steel, and concrete for use in budgeting and cost revision validation.
- Review submitted takeoffs for accuracy prior to accepting initial and updated pricing submissions.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an empluee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate.
SALARY RANGE: Approximately $90,000 – $105,000 depending on experience.
BONUS: Annual, up to 15% of Base Salary based on achieving Outcomes.
COMPUTER: A company computer and email account will be provided for business use.
WORK LOCATION: 5291 East Yale Avenue and jobsites.
BENEFITS: Healthcare, vision, dental and 401k matching. Benefit specifics will be supplied along with offer letter.
VACATION: 2 weeks per year increasing in accordance with Employee Handbook.
HOLIDAYS: Position will receive company holidays as per the company handbook.